Good morning! If you are here after seeing my segment on Mornings with Fox 43 then welcome! Don’t forget to follow RHCC on Facebook here to keep up with all my latest post.
Tennessee Tax Holiday starts this Friday, August 7 at 12:01 am and runs through 11:59pm on Sunday, August 9. Check out some of my tips for taking advantage of this weekend.
Which stores participate?
Merchants who sell eligible items such as clothing, school and school art supplies, and computers must participate in the sales tax holiday.
- Clothing Items $100 or less (includes shoes)
- School Supplies $100 or less – pens, pencils, paper, glue, scissors…
- Computers $1,500 or less – Desktop, laptop, tablets
Are my qualifying online purchases tax free?
YES! Qualifying clothing, school supply and computer purchases ARE tax free in-store and online. Make sure to you don’t lose your savings by having to pay shipping.
- Kohls.com – BTSKIDS10 $10 off $30 Kid’s Apparel and Shoes, exp. 8/19
- Kohls.com – SELFIE10 $10 off $30 Junior’s and Young Men’s Apparel, exp. 8/19
- The Children’s Place – FREE Shipping (no code needed) AND earn $10 in Place Cash for every $20 you spend
- The Children’s Place – Get an extra 25% off when you sign up for emails.
- Amazon – extra 20% off Kids’ Back-to-School Shoes from Stride Rite, Sperry, Saucony, and more whenever you spend $50 and use the promo code 20KIDSHOES (and FREE shipping)
Check out Retail Me Not for more codes to your favorite stores.
Tax Free Weekend is not just for Back to School supplies
This is a great time to buy bigger ticket items for yourself too. Winter coats and jackets are included as well athletic shoes, dress shoes, school and work uniforms.
Other items included that you may not have thought of…
- Diapers and baby clothes
- Bridal Dresses and Tuxedos
- Halloween costumes
- Cowboy hats and boots
- Gym clothes and shoes
Savings on electronics….
Smart phones, e-readers and printers are not included (unless part of a bundle with a computer). Tablets, laptops and desktop computers are all included.
Make a plan today for what you want to buy this weekend. Start hunting through the ads online to see who has the best deal this weekend.
Best Buy, Target and Walmart all price match their competitors price, their own online price AND Amazon.com prices. If you find it for less online then have them price match for extra savings.
Make sure to keep an eye on Amazon.com – they can’t get your business by having you walk in their door but they typically offer some great online deals during these tax free weekends.
You phone is your friend…
Most stores now have an app, if you know where you will be shopping then download the app to your smart phone before you head out so you can access the coupons. If there is no app then visit their website before you head out and sign up for their email updates. Most of the time you will get an email with a % off coupon just a few minutes after signing up. Most stores will just scan the coupon right from your phone.
My 2 favorite apps…
Target Cartwheel – 5-50% off select merchandise with new deals being added all the time.
- This weekend is
- 25% off select backpacks
- Extra 20% off select kids clothing
- Extra 5% off Up&Up school supplies
Retail me Not App – This is a must have app. Coupons are added all the time. There are always new coupons and you can check for them just by typing in the name of the store you are standing in. Find your coupon, show your phone to the cashier and get the savings.
Don’t forget! Extended hours this weekend at West Town Mall, Knoxville Center Mall and Tanger Outlets.